Sybase iAnywhere Broadens Information Anywhere Suite Management and Security Capabilities with Afaria 6.0
New Version of Afaria Offers Customers Enhanced Network and Client Security While Reducing IT Administrative Costs
LAS VEGAS – SYBASE TECHWAVE 2008 CONFERENCE – August 5, 2008 – Sybase iAnywhere today announced that it has expanded its industry-leading mobile device management and security solution with the release of Afaria® 6.0. The latest version of Afaria, a core component of the Sybase Information Anywhere® Suite, will include a new relay server architecture that works across multiple Information Anywhere Suite components to offer highly-secure communications for data synchronization and mobile device management functions. Afaria’s device security capabilities are expanded through new mobile device port controls. Finally, Afaria introduces several new features focused on reducing IT administration costs, including a new policy-based device management capability, support for Open Mobile Alliance Client Provisioning (OMA CP), and a local password recovery feature.
“We have been working with Sybase iAnywhere on Afaria 6.0 testing and have had an extremely positive experience with the new relay server architecture and its enhanced secure connectivity to our network infrastructure,” said Samuel Lee, IT Manager for Jazz Pharmaceuticals. “Also, their profile based management console effectively streamlines device management tasks for both IT and the end-user.”
“Despite the fact that adoption of mobile devices and smartphones continues to proliferate, enterprises today are required to implement mobile device security frameworks with reduced resources and IT budgets,” said Stephen Drake, program director, mobile enterprise, IDC. “Suppliers delivering a strong mobile management and security platform, while making it affordable and easily accessible to customers without compromising the latest features and functionality, is a compelling solution for the enterprise.”
The new additions to Afaria’s award winning mobile device management and security technology create a complete and tightly integrated enterprise mobility platform.
Key Features Include:
Enhanced network security with new Relay Server
- Facilitates highly secure communications with mobile devices by not requiring any open inbound ports into the corporate network
- No VPN software required - secure communications is achieved with no impact on device processor or battery performance
- Works across multiple Information Anywhere Suite components, providing a single security solution for all device communications
Reduced IT costs with new Policy-based administrative model
- Group and role-based policies reduce IT administration costs by facilitating automated management of large numbers of mobile devices
- Provides consolidated, expanded views of group policies and schedules for ease in management and troubleshooting
- Dynamic policy enforcement capability ensures compliance with management and security policies even while devices are disconnected
Open Mobile Alliance Client Provisioning (OMA CP)
- Over-the-air standards-based device provisioning capability
- Supports configuration of access point settings needed to connect new devices to the Internet
- Supports both user and network PIN signed messages for increased security
Mobile Device Port Controls
- Dynamically controls and enforces the use of device communication ports and features on Windows Mobile devices
- Reduces or eliminates spurious communication costs by controlling unauthorized use of IMAP/POP3 email and SMS/MMS messaging
- Disables use of Infrared, WIFI, USB and Bluetooth communications
- Enforces corporate security and configuration policies regarding the use of device functionality such as camera, microphone, and external data cards
Local Password Recovery
- Provides a method for end users to regain access to locked devices without compromising security
- Reduces help desk costs
- Optional setting depending on corporate security policy
“Afaria 6.0 is focused on reducing IT costs, which is one of the most pressing issues facing enterprises today,” said Joe Owen, vice president of engineering, Sybase iAnywhere. “The new policy-based administrative model, the OMA client provisioning capabilities and the local password recovery feature all work to drive down mobile device management costs. This latest version Afaria also includes significant advances in network and device security with the new relay server architecture and mobile device port control capabilities.”
Sybase Information Anywhere Suite’s Afaria 6.0 will be available by the end of Q3 2008. For more information, please visit: www.sybase.com/products/mobileenterprise/afaria or by calling 800-801-2069.
About Sybase iAnywhere
iAnywhere, a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. (NYSE:SY), enables success at the front lines of business. The company holds worldwide market leadership positions in mobile and embedded databases, mobile management and security, mobile email, mobile middleware and synchronization, and Bluetooth® and infrared protocol technologies. Sybase iAnywhere plays an important role in the Sybase Unwired Enterprise strategy, which focuses on managing and mobilizing information from the data center to the point of action. Tens of millions of mobile devices and over 20,000 customers and partners rely on the company’s “Always Available” technologies, including SQL Anywhere and its Information Anywhere Suite.
Join us August 4-8 at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas for TechWave 2008, Sybase’s annual user conference. For more information, visit http://www.sybase.com/techwave.
Sybase, iAnywhere, iAnywhere Solutions, Afaria, Information Anywhere and SQL Anywhere are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of Sybase, Inc. or its subsidiaries. ® indicates registration in the United States of America. The Bluetooth trademark and logos are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by iAnywhere is under license. All other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
Special Note: References to Sybase iAnywhere mean iAnywhere Solutions, Inc., a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. Statements concerning iAnywhere Solutions’ product market, relationships with its customers and new products are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks and cannot be guaranteed. Factors that could ultimately affect such statements are detailed from time to time in Sybase’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to its annual report on Form 10-K and its quarterly reports on Form 10-Q (copies of which can be viewed on the Company’s web site).
For more information, please contact Sybase Public Relations.